North Carolina’s Civil War Trails are the latest link in a series of trails that meander through the states of Virginia, Maryland, West Virginia, North Carolina and soon in Tennessee. The markers identify and interpret locations of both great campaigns and lesser-known Civil War sites. There are three markers in Lexington.
Lexington in the Civil War: Occupation and Fire,Davidson County Courthouse, 2 South Main Street, Lexington
Here, the Federalist field command of the 9th Pennsylvania quartered during the summer of 1865. On November 23, 1865, a fire damaged the interior of the courthouse. It was assumed Union troops set the fire, but according to a local resident, many of the troops helped extinguish the fire, saving important county records.
The Homestead: Unexpected Houseguests, 408 South Main Street, Lexington
The Homestead on South Main Street in Lexington was built in 1834 as the home for Dr. W. R. Holt, his wife and family. When the family learned that General Kilpatrick was on the outskirts of Lexington, Dr. Holt left to safeguard his plantation, Linwood. Mrs. Louisa Holt invited General Kilpatrick and his staff to be her houseguests while they were in town, possibly saving her home from destruction.
Pine Grove Camp: Confederate Goverment Seat, Lake Thom-a-Lex, Yokeley Road, Lexington
On the evening of April 16, 1865, a pine grove outside Lexington effectively became the capital for the Confederate States of America and the State of North Carolina when President Jefferson Davis and Governor Zebulon Vance camped along the banks of Abbott’s Creek.
Davidson County Civil War Trail Map & Brochure